The biometrics have been introduced in 2018 for all new applications and is now an additional step in the application for the IEC process. This applies to all countries and is required when applying for a Visitor Visa, Work Permit or Study Permit. It is also part of the application for permanent residence. You don’t have a choice, biometrics are mandatory.
Procedure in the IEC process:
- After receiving the invitation to the IEC work permit, you have to upload all documents, pay the fee and submit the application within the deadline.
- The fee for the biometrics is $85 and will also be listed in the fee overview at the end of the application.
- After submitting the application, you will receive a letter within 24 hours with the instructions on what to do. This is the biometrics collection letter.
- You have 30 days to give the biometrics.
- With the passport and this letter you have to personally go to a biometrics collection centre.
- At the biometrics collection centre you have to have your fingerprints and a photo taken. The process itself takes less than 10 minutes.
- After submitting the biometrics, you don’t have to do anything anymore, just wait until you get the IEC approved.
Where can I give the biometrics?
You do not necessarily have to give the biometrics in your home country. You can go to any biometrics collection centre. You can submit the biometrics at the following locations:
- Visa Application Centres (VAC) worldwide
- Application Support Centers (ASC) in den USA
- Service Canada Offices (SCO) in Canada
Enter your country >> here << to find the city near you.
Can I give the biometrics beforehand to save time?
No. You have to wait for a letter for the biometrics (biometrics collection letter), which you have to take with you to the appointment. And you only get the letter after you have received an invitation AND submitted your Working Holiday application.
What if I don't meet the 30-day deadline?
If you do not submit biometrics within the 30 days, you will receive a refusal of the Working Holiday application.
Due to personal circumstances, I cannot give the biometrics within the 30 days. Can I extend the deadline?
An extension of the deadline is only accepted under one condition: If there are no free appointments at the biometrics office within the 30 days.
You cannot get an extension if you give the following reasons:
- You have to work and you can’t take time off.
- You are waiting for cheaper flights (if you have to give the biometrics outside of your home country).
- You are on a road trip or on vacation.
- The biometrics office is too far away.
- Other factors that you can influence.
- Take screenshots from the appointment reservation system.
- Contact IRCC via the web form >here< .
- Select “International Experience Canada” from the drop down list.
- Include the proof (screenshots).
- If the renewal request is approved, you will not receive a confirmation email. Instead, you get a new biometrics collection letter into the GCKey account.
Can I give the biometrics at an embassy, at the airport or at the border?
No, this is not possible for the Working Holiday process. You have to go to one of the biometrics collection centres.
I have already submitted the biometrics for another Canadian work permit. Do I have to give them again?
No, if, for example, you are now applying for the Young Professional work permit and have already submitted biometrics for the Working Holiday, you do not have to give them again. The biometrics are valid for 10 years. >Here< you can check whether the biometrics provided are still valid.
What do I have to do in the Working Holiday application if I have already given the biometrics for another application?
If you have already submitted biometrics and they are valid for the Working Holiday process, they will be automatically assigned to your application within a few days of submitting the application. You don’t have to enter anything anywhere except to answer the question in the application about the biometrics with “Yes”.
How long does it take for the biometrics to appear in my GCKey account?
After submitting the biometrics, it will take up to 72 hours for the biometrics to be assigned in the account.
If my Working Holiday application is rejected and I apply again, do I have to give the biometrics again?
No, the biometrics are valid for 10 years. When applying, you must answer “yes” to the question of whether you have already submitted biometrics.