This info post applies to all IMM forms from the Canadian government website.
One of the many options shown here will work.
IMM forms from the Canadian government cannot be opened on mobile devices (iPads, tablets, mobile phones, etc.). You need to open them on your computer. Best used if it is a Windows Computer or Laptop. A Chromebook will not work either.
Forms for applications for Canada (e.g. work permit, study permit, visitor record, etc.) must always be downloaded from the document overview of the application or from the canada.ca page. This is the official site of the government and so you make sure you always download the latest version. If you download an older version from third party links off the Internet, they might be outdated and the application may be rejected. Be very careful with that option.
Your computer is trying to open the PDF in the browser. You have to take some steps to download the file to your computer and open it from there.
For PC users
- Right-click the link.
- Select “Save target as” or “Save link as”.
- Choose the location on your computer where you would like to save the file.
- Select “Save”.
- Use Windows Explorer to get to the location where you saved the file.
- Right click on the PDF file.
- Select “Open with”.
- Select “Choose program”.
- Select “Adobe Acrobat Reader”.
- Make sure to check the box that says, “Always use this program to open these files”.
- Select “OK”.
For Mac users
- Press the Control (Ctrl) key and click on the link
- When the option menu appears, choose “Download link to disk” or “Download linked file”.
- Choose the location on your computer where you would like to store the file. Your computer will start the download once you have selected a location.
When you are in the error screen, check the top right corner, if you click the download symbol (it could also be a “save” button), a popup window will appear which asks you where to save the file. The file will automatically be downloaded and can be found in your “Downloads” folder on your computer. Open it from that downloads folder.
Another option - Try this setting in the Chrome Browser
- Open the Chrome Browser (download it if you don’t have it)
- Type this exact text in the Chrome browser: chrome://settings/content/pdfDocuments
- Activate the button as shown in the screenshot.
- Open a new tab in the Chrome browser and try to download the form again.
- The form will be downloaded into the “Downloads” folder on your PC/Laptop.
- Open the file from there.
Another easy trick!
- Search for the Form on Google. It should be listed at the top and show the canada.ca website.
- Right-click on the link of the form
- Copy the link
- Open Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer
- On the top left corner click “File” – “Open”
- In the field where the file must be selected, simply paste the copied link.
- Click “Open”
Do I have to print and sign the IMM 5707 family information form?
No. If you apply online for a work permit (for example the Working Holiday work permit), the family information form (IMM 5707) does not need to be printed and signed, even if it says “Signature” at the bottom of the form. You only need to fill it out, save it on your computer and upload it into the spot in the application. That’s it.
Don’t worry, at the end of the online application everything is signed and transmitted electronically.
It will not impact the application if you didn’t know this and printed and filled the form out manually. No worries.
Very important! If a form or document is requested after an application was submitted, IRCC will provide an open spot in the GCKey account to upload it.
>> HERE << is the very important instruction on how to upload and submit it. After submitting the document, the status of that document must show “replacement provided”.